downthetubes is undergoing some main site refurbishment...

This blog is no longer being updated

The downthetubes news blog was assimilated into our main site back in 2013.

Hop over to www.downthetubes.net for other British comics news, comic creating guides, interviews and much more!

Friday 29 October 2010

Catching up with Gibson Quarter

Gibson Quarter is best known for his illustration work on War on Drugs strips with writer Alan Grant, for the adult comics magazine Wasted which will soon see a sixth issue on sale.

He's also drawn stories for numerous other magazines and comics including Northern Lightz, FutureQuake, Something Wicked, Zarjaz and Dogbreath abd contributes to the webcomic, Fractal Friction.

In North America, he's provided art for Holmes Inc with Ty Templeton, and the upcoming 7th Wave #1.

downthetubes caught up with him via Sci-Fi Art Now, a new collection of SF art published by ILEX in the UK, which features an impressive robot image by this talented artist. This interview is cross posted from the SFAN blog...

What tools do you mainly use to create your art?

Gibson Quarter: Pencils, pencils and more pencils! When I have to ink, I use crow quills, (hunt 102 almost exclusively) brushes, and India ink.

What inspired you to become an artist?

A page of the online webcomic
Fractal Friction
Gibson: Time’s relentless march forward inspired me. I’ve always loved art, and could draw pretty well in my younger days. After not drawing for 10 years, (but still always reading comics, graphic novels and art books) I decided that if I don't get some of my art out into the world, I’ll really regret it when I’m older. So I got focused, and got going!

What was the most useful piece of advice you were given when you began learning your craft?

Gibson: Seth Fisher (R.I.P.) was very helpful, and offered this advice which has always stuck with me: “A good page takes a long time to make and is often redrawn several times to make it work. This is a secret part of the process of course. People assume it comes out right the first try.”

Which artists most inspire you?

Gibson: Arthur Adams, Frank Quitely, Joe Madureira, Chris Sanders, and many many others. I find a new favorite artist every day on Deviant art!

What is the appeal to you of science fiction as an inspiration for some of your work?

Gibson: Science Fiction is limited only by one’s creativity. None of the environments /people/creatures exist yet, so you can go crazy! It’s very freeing, and fun to draw.

Pencils for War on Drugs,
which appears in Britain's
adult comic Wasted
Do you have a favourite piece of work or project you have worked on (please send a related image if possible web link if applicable)

Inks for War on Drugs,
which appears in Britain's
adult comic Wasted
Gibson: My answer to this is usually always, ‘my latest creation.’ I try very hard to constantly improve my art. That said, I’m always proud of my War on Drugs art for Wasted magazine, especially when Gary Erskine inks my pencils.

In your career, have you had any bizarre experiences while creating your art?

Gibson: Nothing too crazy, but I do have a constant and ongoing battle with my cat, as he often tries to get up on my drawing table… it terrifies me when I’m inking pages!

What most frustrates you about being an artist?

Gibson: My speed. I always want to be faster and produce more, but it’s not always possible.

What keeps you going despite the hopefully occasional frustrations?

Gibson: Positive fan feedback on my work. It’s like manna from heaven!

What advice would you offer to anyone starting out as an artist?

Gibson: Don’t rush your art, and learn Photoshop... It can really help out in the early stages of creating good art.

• Check out more of Gibson's work at: http://gibsonquarter27art.blogspot.com. Contact him by email via gibsonquarter27ATyahoo.com

• Holmes Inc. is available from http://holmesinccomic.wordpress.com

• More about Wasted via: www.badpressltd.com


Undertow #1 (Gibson's cover art featuring the Organ Grinder, right) will be available from 7th Wave from 1st December 2010: http://7thwavecomics.blogspot.com

No comments:

Latest News on downthetubes.net

Contact downthetubes

• Got a British Comics News Story? E-mail downthetubes!

• Publishers: please contact for information on where to post review copies and other materials: editor@downthetubes.net

Click here to subscribe to our RSS NewsFeed

Powered by  FeedBurner