downthetubes is undergoing some main site refurbishment...

This blog is no longer being updated

The downthetubes news blog was assimilated into our main site back in 2013.

Hop over to www.downthetubes.net for other British comics news, comic creating guides, interviews and much more!

Wednesday 22 February 2012

Happy Birthday, 2000AD! From art droid Jonathan Edwards

Strontium Dog by Jonathan Edwards
Name: Jonathan Edwards

Blog or web site: www.jonathan-e.com and http://jonathan-e.blogspot.com/

Currently working on
:

My vinyl figure Inspector Cumulus is being released in its second colour way over the summer and I'm currently working on ideas for a graphic novel featuring him. I've got a few ideas for a alternative 1950s London where a cloud-headed detective would fit in.

I've also redrawn my strip from the 1996 anthology "It's Dark in London" (being reprinted by Self Made Hero this March).


Apart from comics I'll be working with my partner, Louise (AKA Felt Mistress) on more character design work. Hopefully, we've got some exciting projects and exhibitions coming up this year which we'll be able to reveal soon.

First memory of 2000AD?

I was given a copy of issue 2 of 2000AD just before I went to see my future primary school when I was five. I remember wearing the "Biotronic Man" stickers on my arm. Perhaps I thought I'd get away without going to school if they assumed I was a robot!

I never saw another copy until I was about eight or nine. It was a rainy day and we had to stay in during break time. There was a pile of comics donated to the school. Amongst them was a copy of 2000AD with a Mick McMahon episode of the Judge Child saga. It was an issue featuring the Angel Gang. I was immediately obsessed with McMahon's work and have been ever since. A constant artistic influence throughout my life. I think I saw Brian Bolland's work for the first time that same day! Thank God for rain.

Favourite Character or Story?

It's definitely the strips I read as child just because they had such a huge impact on me. Dredd stories such as "Judge Death Lives", "The Cursed Earth", "The Judge Child", "Block Mania". Such clever funny, exciting strips. I also really loved Strontium Dog, Nemesis the Warlock, Halo Jones, Future Shocks, Sooner or Later, Rogue Trooper, D.R & Quinch. Aaargh! Too many to mention.

What do you like most about the 2000AD?

The sheer inventiveness of those first 10 years. So many great writers and artists.

What would you most like to see in 2000AD as it heads to its Forties?

I'd like to see it become more eclectic and embrace more unusual styles. Well, what I'm really saying is I'd like to draw a Dredd strip! I'd even settle for a poster. Y'know, just for the 10-year-old me!

• This post is one in a series of tributes to 2000AD to mark its 35th birthday on 26th February 2012. More about 2000AD at http://www.2000adonline.com/

2000AD © Rebellion

No comments:

Latest News on downthetubes.net

Contact downthetubes

• Got a British Comics News Story? E-mail downthetubes!

• Publishers: please contact for information on where to post review copies and other materials: editor@downthetubes.net

Click here to subscribe to our RSS NewsFeed

Powered by  FeedBurner